General FAQs

The following are answers to some of the most common questions we are asked. We look forward to meeting with you and answering any other questions you may have.

How much are your legal services going to cost me?

We, almost always, work on a contingency fee basis. This means we will not get paid anything unless we successfully resolve your case by way of a settlement or judgement. Our fees will then be deducted from your award.

Who will pay for my medical bills?

Almost all reasonable and necessary medical and rehabilitation costs should be paid by your medical insurance, extended health carrier, or ICBC. The amount, and source, of benefits will depend on a number of factors. We will be happy to explain the details of these issues to you.

What if I'm unable to go back to work?

If you were employed at the time of injury, you are entitled to income replacement benefits through the accident benefit provider. They will pay up to 75% of your net loss to a weekly maximum. Your particular right to benefits of this type is something we will explain to you when we meet. Ask us about all your options.

How much can I expect to receive from my injuries?

This is a common question that many of our prospective clients ask during their initial consultations.

There are several factors to consider, before we can estimate the value of your case. By gaining a better understanding of your injuries, we will be able to determine if there is going to be any future considerations. For instance, an injury that is minor today can become quite serious in the future. As a result, there would be medical bills, lost opportunities and lost wages (past & future) to consider, all of which would factor into determining the true value of your case. We can discuss your situation at length during your initial consultation.

What if I don't have my own car insurance?

There are many different avenues to take if you are not currently insured. Your accident benefit claim may proceed through the at fault driver or alternatively through the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund. Ask us which avenue applies to you.

What if I was involved in a car accident which was not my fault and the other driver does not have any insurance; do I still have a case?

Yes, even if the responsible party is uninsured you are entitled to compensation for your losses through your own ICBC coverage, including UMP (underinsured motorist protection).

What if I'm injured on someone else's property?

Those injured by a negligent owner or occupier of a premise may recover damages for their injuries, including, loss of income, medical expenses, pain and suffering, etc. If you have been injured on someone else's property, contact us immediately so that we can begin assessing your case. Also, please note that you should not give an interview to insurance adjusters or investigators hired by insurance companies until you have consulted with a lawyer first. As such, it is imperative to seek legal advice as soon as possible.

How long do I have to bring a claim?

All claims are governed by limitation periods. Once the limitation period has passed your right to recover your losses is gone forever. There are hundreds of limitation periods applicable to different types of claims and different types of defendants. It is our first priority, when hired to know the limitation period for your claim and to make sure that the appropriate steps are taken to protect your rights.

Free Legal Consultation

Make sure you know and understand your legal rights. We offer a no pressure, no obligation, FREE INTITIAL CONSULTATION to give you the opportunity to understand your legal grounds.

Find out more